This mock exam paper is a combination of functional grammar with answers.
WORKSHEET 1 OF MOCK EXAM
Directions for mock exam: Read each sentence to find out whether there is any grammatical or idiomatic error in it. The error, if any, will be in one part of the sentence. The number of that part is the answer. If there is ‘No error’, the answer is (e). (Ignore errors of punctuation, if any.)
1.Mahesh’s habit of (a)/ detaining his work (b)/ put his colleagues (c)/ into a lots of trouble. (d)/ No error (e)
2.We are looking at sourcing (a)/ to cut the reliance on imports (b)/ and keep the pricing competitive (c)/ for the Indian market. (d)/ No error (e)
7. The government wants state-run banks to (a)/ nudge their mid-sized corporate borrowers to seek credit (b)/ through alternative sources, help develop bond market (c)/ and create space for banks to lend to SMEs. (d)/ No error (e) No error
ERROR CORRECTION 3:-
11.It is only Seema (a)/ who could only manage (b)/ to working in such a (c)/ claustrophobic professional atmosphere. (d)/ No error (e)
13.Rajani is (a)/the smartest (b)/ and very beautiful girl (c)/ in the entire university. (d)/ No error (e)
ERROR CORRECTION ANSWERS:-
1(d)replace ‘lots’ with ‘lot’
11(c)replace ‘to working’ with ‘to work’
13(c)replace ‘very beautiful’ with ‘most beautiful’
CLOZE TEST FOR MOCK EXAM:-
Directions for mock exam: In the following passage there are blanks, each of which has been numbered. These numbers are printed below the passage and against each, five words are suggested, one of which fits the blank appropriately. Find out the appropriate word in each case.
The Reserve Bank of India has issued circular asking banks to accept in cash tax payment (6) the Income Declaration Scheme (IDS) that closes on September 30.
“We advise that banks must invariably accept cash (7) of amount, over the counters from all declarants who desire to deposit cash at the counters, (8) deposits under the above Scheme (9) challan ITNS-286,” the central banks have told bank while (10) to some reluctance on the part of banks.
6.a)beneath b)under c)below d)for e)over
7.a)irrespective b)careless c)attentive d)partial e)despite
9.a)comprise b)embrace c)through d)inserting e)append
10.a)confessing b)professing c)inducting d)seating e)admitting
CLOZE TEST ANSWERS:-
6(b) 7(a) 8(d) 9(c) 10(e)
EXERCISE 3 OF MOCK EXAM
FILL IN THE BLANKS:-
Directions for mock exam: In each of the following sentences there are two blank spaces. Below each sentence, there are five pairs of words denoted by the letters (a), (b), (c), (d), and (e). Find out which pair of words can be filled up in the blanks in the sentence in the same sequence to make it meaningfully complete.
11. While most opposition parties have ____ overtaking on the Muslim clergy over the issue of triple talaq, Mr. X ____ supported the demand from Muslim women for the abolition of instant, arbitrary triple talaq.
a)explained, terribly b)waffled, unequivocally c)rattled, powerfully d)enlighten, flatly e)confused, hardly
12. While the idea of varied tax rates has been ____ around, the consensus seems to be building ____ a standard rate of 16-18 percent for services and about 20 percent for goods.
a)free, about b)hovering, off c)volatile, to d)inflated, of e) floating, around
13. With banks ____ against time to clear up their balance sheets by March 2017, a heavily indebted India Inc has been ____ to go on a fire sale of its assets.
a)darting, denying b)creeping, forming c)racing, forced d)crawling, waiting e)slowing, thinking
14. Telecom gear maker Nokia said it has ____ a multi-million dollar 4G network technology deal from Bharti Airtel to ____ services in nine circles.
a)caught, withhold b)hooked, open c) nabbed, arrange d)bagged, deploy e)got, spread
15. Orient Electric has ____ Aroquiet Ceiling fan fitted ____ aerodynamic profile blades for high air density.
a)launched, with b)floated, by c)begun, to d)sent, into e)abridged, on
FILL IN THE BLANKS ANSWERS:-
11(b) 12(e) 13(c) 14(d) 15(a)
EXERCISE 4 OF MOCK EXAM
REARRANGEMENT OF SENTENCES
Directions for mock exam:- Rearrange the following six sentences (A), (B), (C), (D), (E), and (F) in the proper sequence to form a meaningful paragraph and then answer the questions given below.
(A)Continued terrorism emerging from Pakistan and areas under its control remains a key concern.
(B)A secure, stable, peaceful, and prosperous neighborhood is central to India’s economic prosperity and security.
(C)The unprovoked attack on Indian patrol in contravention of all norms of moral conduct has been taken up strongly with the Pakistan Government.
(D)India desires peaceful, friendly, and cooperative reactions with Pakistan and is committed to resolving all outstanding issues with Pakistan through bilateral dialogue in an atmosphere free from terrorism and violence.
(E)This includes putting an end to unprovoked firing on Indian posts and repeated transgression on the LoC by the Pakistan army which adversely affects bilateral ties between the two countries.
(F)India’s view is that Pakistan must maintain the sanctity on the line of control (LoC).
1. Which of the following should be the FIRST sentence after rearrangement?
(1)A (2)C (3)D (4)E (5)B
2. Which of the following should be the SECOND sentence after rearrangement?
(1)D (2)F (3)E (4)C (5)A
3. Which of the following should be the THIRD sentence after rearrangement?
(1)B (2)A (3)C (4)D (5)F
4. Which of the following should be the LAST (SIXTH) sentence after rearrangement?
(1)F (2)D (3)B (4)A (5)C
5. Which of the following should be the FIVE sentence after rearrangement?
(1)C (2)B (3)E (4)F (5)D
MOCK EXAM ANSWERS FOR REARRANGEMENT OF SENTENCES:-
REARRANGEMENT OF SENTENCES:-
Directions for mock exam:- Rearrange the following six sentences (A), (B), (C), (D), (E) and (F) in the proper sequence to form a meaningful paragraph and then answer the questions given below.
(A)To minimize the violence they cause to such organisms, they have fashioned a lifestyle which includes covering their mouth when they speak, using only boiled water, sweeping the floor before they tread on it, and so on.
(B)Ahimsa is at the core of all Jain thought and philosophy.
(C)To maximize the elements of non-violence, they discovered that it is important to be an aparigrahi also.
(D)It is not limited to human life, but extends to all that surrounds us.
(E)An aparigrahi is one who has given up one’s possessions.
(F)Jainas believe that even waterbodies and air are living entities.
1.Which of the following should be the FIRST sentence after rearrangement?
(1)B (2)E (3)D (4)C (5)A
2.Which of the following should be the SECOND sentence after rearrangement?
(1)C (2)F (3)A (4)D (5)B
3.Which of the following should be the THIRD sentence after rearrangement?
(1)A (2)F (3)E (4)B (5)D
4.Which of the following should be the FOURTH sentence after rearrangement?
(1)D (2)B (3)C (4)E (5)A
5.Which of the following should be the LAST (SIXTH) sentence after rearrangement?
(1)F (2)A (3)E (4)B (5)C
REARRANGEMENT OF SENTENCES ANSWERS:-